Admin Control Panel

New Post Change Layout Sign Out

Feb 19, 2013

Clean & Simple - How-To

Hello!  I stepped outside my "norm" for today's MFT Creative Challenge.

The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. 
This month, we were challenged to create clean and simple projects - without the use of any patterned paper. 

Instead of sitting at my desk, staring aimlessly, I decided to turn to the Jan/Feb issue of Papercrafts Magazine.  I found plenty of inspiration there, and tried out a couple techniques that I was inspired by!

Up first is this masked ONE LAYER (gasp) card.  I show you how to recreate it below, so keep on scrolling.  

Using a mask, I stamped "LOVE" from Coupon Book - Love in Black Licorice and then stamped several border strips from Document It - Right This Way, alternating between Razzle Berry and Pink Lemonade.



Here's how to do it:

Adhere Eclipse Masking Tape to a piece of card stock (to make it more sturdy) and use Heart STAX to cut out the largest heart.


Peel off the mask you have created from the card stock and adhere it carefully to your card.  You'll want to make sure it is straight since this is one layer, and you won't be trimming card stock away.


Start with your focal work and stamp it within the mask.


Begin building around the focal word using background strips and varied colors.  Make sure to stamp OFF the mask also so that the color extends all the way to the edge of the mask.  This will ensure your shape is clear when you are done.


 Continue until all the space is filled.


Remove the mask!


Here is another quick and easy card I whipped up.  I created a piece of Kraft notebook paper using the Notebook Edge Die-namics, some colored pencils, and a ruler.  


I ripped a little bit of the notebook edge away using the working perforation marks.


"hi" was stamped with Monogram Alphabet in Black Licorice.


This is a super quick and easy card using Fishtail Banner Die-namics and Typewriter Alphabet.  I cut the banners in various colors.  I stamped the typewriter "ring" and letter on matching paper, using white pigment ink, and then heat embossed with white embossing powder.  Each letter was punched out and adhered to the corresponding color.  Then I adhered them to the card layer and stitched across.  The top panel is popped up off the card base to add a little bit of dimension.



For my last card, I used a sketch I found in Papercrafts Magazine and returned to the masking technique, this time opting for a more involved mask.  Keep scrolling for a tutorial showing you how!


I used the Own Your Story stamp set and stamped inside a masked grid.  The "focal" square was paper-pierced around.


I broke up the otherwise "flat" card by adding a Fishtail Flag under the sentiment.


Here is how you can recreate this card:

Unroll your Eclipse masking tape and adhere it to a piece of card stock measuring 4 X 5.25.



Trim away the excess.  Use a ruler and pencil to plot out your grid.  You can have as few, or as many "squares" as you want.  Here, I have opted for 6.


I added an "X" through each of the squares I want to cut away in my mask.


I used my paper trimmer and carefully trimmed out the 6 squares.


Pop out all the squares.


Remove the mask from the card stock you worked on it on, and transfer to the piece of card stock you want to stamp on.  In this case, Kraft.


Cut a couple additional strips of masking tape to cover exposed squares as you are stamping in each one.  Here, I start with the definition of friend.


Continue on, moving the additional masking paper as you go, so as not to stamp in a square that is adjacent to the one you are working on.





Here is what your paper will look like after stamping in all 6 squares.  You will see lots of messy ink everywhere, and your additional masks will also be a mess.


Peel it away and this is what you are left with.  6 perfectly stamped squares.  Save your mask for another day.  Just put it back on the card stock you worked on it on in the beginning.


I created a perfectly-sized paper-piercing guide using plastic canvas.  Put it over one (or more) squares and piece around the perimeter (on a spongy mat).



If you've hung in with me this long, THANK YOU.  


Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have a clean and simple project to share with you today.


9 comments:

  1. Look at you go CAS!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job, great cards! Thanks for the tipps, love them! :)
    Hugs,
    Micky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow~ clean and simple cards are the hardest to execute, and you've done it expertly here. I thought that the sweet little hello banner was my favorite...until I saw your amazing grid card. I am so blown away by the technique, the artistry and the finished product! Adding the paper piercing was a stroke of pure genius. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! THese are awesome cards!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW amazing thanks for the tutorials too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful collection of cards Jody! Thanks for sharing the awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME! ideas Jodi! Thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate you reading my blog.

 
Pin It button on image hover