Admin Control Panel

New Post Change Layout Sign Out

Jan 28, 2013

Smooch Resist Butterfly - Tutorial

Hello all and thanks for stopping by today.  I have a clean & simple "catch up" card for last week's MFT Wednesday Stamp Club 108.  I actually had it stamped on time, but then didn't get it blogged until today.  Eeeek.  I've missed several and want to go back and catch up.

I was inspired for this card by a mini class I took while at CHA with a technique called "Smooch Resist".  I stepped a little outside the "rules" for it, but created a finished product that is clean & simple, with some technique for a little added pizazz.

I have a full tutorial below on how to recreate this, so keep scrolling.  :)


The butterfly is from Inspired by Butterflies and was stamped with Versamark, clear embossed, and I used the "Smooch Resist" technique to colorize the butterfly (keep scrolling for tutorial).  The sentiment is from You Make My Day, the current Triple Scoop Stamp Set.


I added the Simply Scallops Medium border and placed a purple Swarovski crystal within each scallop.


Here is peek inside, using another sentiment from You Make My Day.


Here is a complete tutorial for you.


Stamp butterfly with Versamark on Sweet Tooth Card Stock.  Then add clear embossing powder and shake off excess.


Melt embossing powder using heat gun.
TIP: I heat my embossing powder from underneath the paper.  This prevents the powder from blowing away, and helps you achieve a more even look, rather than a "bubbled" appearance from the powder "boiling" as you are heating it.


Grab a spare mount and a bottle of Versamark refill.


 Using a sponge, coat your card stock with it where you will be blending Smooch and the other mediums.  Just a thin layer is fine.

Grab some Smooch.  I chose Shabby Pink.



Wipe the Smooch all over the sponge.  I use the sponge from ClearSnap which has different sponge heads that can be snapped off and on and switched out.



Rub the Smooch over the embossed image in a couple areas.


 Now grab some mist/spray and apply it to a couple more areas (I used the same sponge for this).



For the third color, I chose some Twinkling H2Os in a purple color.  I just sprayed some water in there and used the same sponge to transfer the color.



Now blending it all together, mixing the colors until you are happy with how it looks.


 Wipe away all the excess ink with a paper towel.


 Lay on an old dish towel (something you don't mind ruining - just in case).


Lay a double layer of paper towel over your card stock.


Iron it with NO steam until the embossing powder has all melted away.  Make sure there is no sheen to the embossed image.



Prepped images, complete.


Now, "fussy cut" out the image, or grab the coordinating die.  I am using Inspired by Butterflies Die-namics.


I snapped them apart first.


Cut a butterfly out of scrap CARD STOCK (MUST be card stock - not copy paper etc).


Use the scrap card stock negative piece to "frame" the stamped image and tape in place.


Place die in "hole".  It will fall into place - slide it around a little.


This will help you have perfectly cut out images.


Add your finished accents to a card!


Here is the sketch, to inspire you.  :)




6 comments:

  1. Please make a video of this technique. I have gone over the pics several times but I don't completely understand. I am a very visual person and would know how if I saw a video. Thanks and thanks for sharing. A very pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a cool effect, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok seriously, gorgeous and you are BRILLIANT! I'm a little slow when it comes to thinking to use the negative piece to place the die! LOL! What a gorgeous butterfly!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card. I learned this technique as "faux batik". It is so much fun to do, and creates such a beautiful image. the cutting tip is genius! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is GORGEOUS. Wowza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful love the finished card

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate you reading my blog.

 
Pin It button on image hover